History of Fortification Study Centre

Academic council

 
HFSC Academic Council

 

Belik Yuri Leonidovich - Candidate of Historical Sciences, Head of the Research Department of "Kerch Fortress", State Budget Institution of the Republic of Crimea "Eastern-Crimean Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve". He was born in 1974 in Kerch. In 2001 he graduated from the Tavrichesky National University named after V.I. Vernadsky (Simferopol, Crimea). Since 2008 he has been conducting archaeological researches on the territory of Kerch and Yeni-Kale fortresses. In 2011 he defended his thesis on "Ottoman Defensive Fortifications on the Kerch Peninsula (XVII-XVIII centuries.)". Scientific interests: history of fortifications of the Azov-Black Sea region (XVI-XIX centuries), features of the building technologies of defensive architecture, armament of fortresses. Several dozens of articles and a joint monograph "The Field Fortification of the Crimea in the Suvorov Era" have been published on this subject. Since 2011, the main work is focused on the study, preservation and development of the unique monument of military engineering art "Kerch Fortress".

Kerch, the Republic of Crimea
List of publications of Yu.L. Belik

 

 

Gubaidullin Airat Maratovich – Candidate of Historical Sciences, senior researcher in the Institute of Archaeology named after A. Kh. Khalikov, Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tatarstan. Was born in 1965 in Kazan, graduated from the History Department of Kazan State University. In 1996 defended the thesis of Candidate of Historical Sciences on the theme "Fortification of Ancient Settlements of the Volga Bulgaria". Scientific interests: ancient and medieval fortification of the people of the Volga-Ural region, settlement of city type of the Volga Bulgaria and Kazan khanate. Author of more than 100 scientific publications, as well as 1 monograph and 3 books.

Main publications: Fortification of ancient settlements of the Volga Bulgaria. – Kazan, 2002. – 232 pp. (in Russian); Fortification dictionary. 2nd edition – Kazan, 2006. – 144 pp. (in Russian)

Kazan, Republic of Tatarstan, Russia

 

 

Kalinin Vladimir Ivanovich – Candidate of Chemical Sciences (=PhD in Chemistry) (1989) and Doctor of Biological Sciences (Dr. Sc. in Biology) (1998), leading researcher of G.B. Elyakov Pacific Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of the Far East Division of Russian Academy of Sciences. Was born in 1957 in Vladivostok, graduated from Chemical Department of Far Eastern University in 1979. Concerning fortification history – a member of Russian Geographical Society from 1976, chairman of Military Historical Club “Vladivostok Fortress” at the Society for Studying the Amur Region – Prymorye Regional Branch of Russian Geographical Society. Deputy editor of the journal „Questions of the History of Fortification”. Author of a series of monographs and books as well as numerous articles on the history of fortifications, mostly of the Far East of Russia.

Vladivostok, Russia

List of publications of V.I. Kalinin

 

 

   
   
 Kirpichnikov Anatolii Nikolaevich – Doctor of Historical Sciences, chief of Slavic-Finnish Archaeology Department of Institute for the History of Material Culture of Russian Academy of Sciences, Honoured Science Worker of the Russian Federation. Born in 1929 in Leningrad, he graduated Leningrad State University, archaeology subdepartment, in 1953. In 1963 defended the thesis of Candidate of Historical Sciences on the theme “Russian close-fighting weapons of the 10th–13th centuries”, in 1975 – Doctoral thesis on the theme “Military Science in Rus in the 9th-15th centuries”. Since 1955 has been working in Institute for the History of Material Culture of the USSR, now Russian Academy of Sciences. For 40 years has been directing the excavations in Staraya Ladoga. His scientific interests include Russian and Northern Europe 8th–15th centuries medieval archaeology, medieval weapons, military architecture. He is the author of over 650 scientific works, including18 monographs.
A.N. Kirpichnikov is a member of the Presidium of the Central Council of All-Russian Society of the Conservation of History and Culture Monuments, corresponding member of Petrovskaya Academy of Science and Culture (1992), full member of New York Academy of Sciences (1995), honorary member of Finnish National Board of Antiquities (2011), honorary member and member of the Academic Council of the History of Fortification Study Centre (2011).
St.-Petersburg, Russia 
   

Morgunov Yury Yuryevich — Doctor of Historical Sciences, leading researcher of Institute of archaeology of Russian Academy of Sciences. He graduated from History Department of Moscow State University. In 1998 defended the thesis of Candidate of Historical Sciences on the theme "Posulskaya defensive line of Ancient Rus (stages of formation and development)". Doctoral thesis: "The Fortification of the 10th–13th centuries Southern Rus" (2007). In 1968-1978 and 1994-2000 participated in archaeological expeditions on the territory of the USSR, Russia and Norway. In 1972-1992 he directed the research of ancient Russian settlements in the Left-Bank Ukraine regions. Main scientific interests are "fortress" archaeology, historical geography of the 10th–13th centuries Southern Rus and the latter’s relationship with the nomads of the Northern Black Sea areas. On this subject he published more than 100 scientific works, including 6 monographs: Ancient Rus monuments on the Sula river. – Kursk, 1996 (in Russian); Posulskaya border: stages of formation and development. – Kursk, 1998 (in Russian); Sampsoniev Island: a border fortress on posulskaya outskirts of Southern Russia in the XI –XIII centuries – M, 2003 (in Russian); The earth-wooden fortifications of Southern Rus in the 10th–13th centuries. – M., 2009 (in Russian); Chronicle city of Sneporod and its region. 10th–13th. – SPb., 2012 (in Russian); The ramparts and walls of the 10th–13th centuries Southern Rus. The Study of Chronicles and archaeological sources. – Saarbrücken, 2013 (in Russian).
Moscow, Russia
   
Nossov Konstantin Sergeevich – Doctor of Historical Sciences, Director of the History of Fortification Study Centre (HFSC), Editor-in-chief of the journal “Questions of the History of Fortification”, Associate Professor at the History Department of the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (School of Public Policy). At the Academy, in addition to other historical disciplines, talks on “The history of defensive architecture”. Doctoral thesis: “Military architecture in the 16th–17th centuries and its role in the establishment of Russian statehood” (2009). Participated in fortification studying expeditions carried out in many countries. Author of about 100 publications, including over 20 books and monographs, most of which are devoted to the history of fortification.
Moscow, Russia
   

Pivovarchyk Sergej Arkadyevich, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, Head of the Department of Belarus history, archeology and special historical disciplines, Yanka Kupala State University of Grodno (Belarus). He graduated from the History Department of Grodno State University. The theme of Candidate dissertation was "Gorodischa of the 10th-13th centuries of the  Belarussian Ponemanje" (specialty 07.00.06 - Archeology), and it was defended in 1994. The Doctoral dissertation "Formation and development of the system of fortification construction in Belarus (1772-1941)" (specialty 07.00.02 - Native history) was defended in 2009. The sphere of scientific interests is the history of the peoples of Belarus, medieval archeology and history, the history of fortification. He was appointed as the scientific director of the historical and cultural value "Fortifications of the 68th Grodno Fortified Area (1940-1941) in the zone of the Augustow Canal in the territory of the Grodno Region" in 2009 by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic Belarus. He participated in 150 scientific conferences in Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia, Poland and author of about 200 scientific publication.
Grodno, Belarus
 

 

 

Pradines Stéphanes completed his PhD in Islamic Archaeology from Sorbonne University, Paris IV in 2001. Dr Pradines, Associate Professor, is an archaeologist specialising in the Middle East and East Africa. His PhD was the first inventory and study of all the fortifications on the coast of East Africa, from the beginning of Islam to the late 19th century and the Sultanate of Zanzibar. Dr Pradines’ fieldwork includes the direction of Excavations of the Fatimid and Ayyubid Walls of Cairo (2000-2016), Excavations of Kilwa, Swahili medieval harbour of Tanzania and of Gedi, Swahili medieval harbour of Kenya and more recently Excavation of Dembeni (Mayotte, French Comoros). The excavations of the walls of Cairo are the first field school in Islamic archaeology in the Middle-East and the biggest mission in Islamic archaeology for Egypt. Dr Pradines also was Lecturer in Islamic Archaeology at Cairo University and created later the First Field School of Islamic Archaeology in Egypt. He is a member of the Editorial Board, Islamic Archaeological Studies Journal, Islamic Art Museum, Cairo; a Member of the Editorial Board & Book review editor of the Journal of Islamic Archaeology; a Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of the Dominican Institute, MIDEO, Cairo. His publications include “Fortifications et urbanisation en Afrique orientale” (Cambridge Monographs in African Archaeology, 2004), “Portuguese fortresses in East Africa” (Forts 44, Fortress Study Group, Totton, 2016. P. 50-75) among many others.
London, United Kingdom
List of publications of St. Pradines